Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Anticipation

Okay I have been busy building the boat and have not blogged about it. so I will give a large report it severel posts.


Two planks to go

I continued to plank the boat by creating truss templates. This was a first for me. A truss template is done by using two long battens place on the top and bottom lands. Then using short batten pieces, hot glued at angles, alternating between the top and bottom battens, what looks like a truss is created in the form of the plank.  The removing this truss from the forms, It is laid on the plywood and traced out. I was nervous with the first attempet so I traced it onto 1/4" MDF first and cut that out to do a test fit.

 I was very pleased with how well this method worked. When I do this for the next boat build I will take pictures to better show the process.


A Toast

Anyway the planking went very smooth and the whiskey plank(last plank) was laid and a toast was given.

With this celebration completed, it's on to carving the skeg, outer stem and keel..

Outer tim fit
As you may recall we laminated the outer stem at the same time as the inner stem was build. It has been setting aside waiting to be shaped and placed.

Shavings
Shaping the the skeg and the keel were done, mostly at the same time. With a dri fit and scred to the hull I spent close to a whole weekend just planning and shaping. 
This creates a lot of shavings and a very tired boat builder.
With all this done and the two bildge runners made and fit, It is all perminetly glued to the hull with temperary screws to act as clamps. These screws will be removed and all holes pluged.
At last it is time to flip the hull over and remove the forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment